The encore stage of life for Baby Boomers can look like a blank slate. What will you fill your blank slate with so that you make your transition with ease and live a unique and exciting lifestyle in the encore stage of your life?
You may have spent many years in the familiar structure of your full time work world. Now is your chance to write a new chapter for your retirement lifestyle. What do you want to include in it? One place to start is to make the time to reflect back on your entire lifetime with the focus on what went well for you over the years in the various aspects of your life. What would you like to get more of in these next years?
Making use of the organizational development tool known as Appreciative Inquiry* (AI) can help clarify what you want in your own encore years.
5-D AI Process
- Definition – Decide what to learn more about.
- Discover – What is the best that is in your life.
- Dream – What is possible for your future.
- Design – Innovative ways to create your new future.
- Delivery – Implement and sustain the changes for your future.
Points to ponder-
- Describe the most energizing moment, a real “high” from your professional life. What made it possible?
- Describe what you value most about yourself – don’t be humble.
- Describe how you stay positively affirmed, renewed, energized, enthusiastic, inspired.
- Describe your three concrete wishes for your retirement lifestyle.
Many people believe that energy flows where your attention goes. Focus on where you experienced positive energy in your past. Now you can choose what you want more of in the encore stage of your life.
*Appreciative Inquiry is a methodology developed by Professor David Cooperrider and his colleagues at Case Western Reserve University and is used throughout the world. http://appreciativeinquiry.case.edu/
Janice Williams, Retirement Coach, www.welcomingretirement.com