Navigating the transition from the full time work world to the encore stage of life can disrupt Baby Boomer’s identity. The transition period between their previous professional focused identities to their retirement lifestyle identities can feel very unsettling. What will you consider your identity to be during this period of in-between knowing?
This phase of transition allows you the opportunity of deep self-exploration and transformation. You may experience it as a major struggle or a time of wonder.
What identity do you want to take on for your encore years? What aspects of your previous identity will you carry forward that will serve you in new ways? What aspects will no longer be useful and should be released?
10 tips to transition with ease into your encore years:
- Have the courage to recognize that you are experiencing a major life transition.
- Believe in yourself and whatever higher power supports you.
- Be gentle and patient with yourself as you explore new ways of doing and being.
- Allow yourself to not have all of the answers, or be in control.
- Observe your habits and routines to determine which ones serve you now.
- Notice what you are pretending to not know.
- Trust that you will always have everything that you need.
- Practice gratitude for what you do have.
- Seek good company that supports and inspires you.
- Show up in the present moment and give your very best.
As you enter your encore stage of life, you can create whatever identity that you desire. It will include both who you are being in the world and how you spend your time during your retirement lifestyle. What are your strengths and values to tap into now to build your new identity? What strengths and value do you have to offer others as you make new contributions to society? Now is the time to create your best life yet.
Whenever I experience myself going through transitions – major or minor, I refer to these ten ways to restore my sense of ease. There will be moments when I feel stuck and have no idea what to do next. Other times I will feel like I am lost in space, drifting through the unknown. When I pause and remember to consider these ten tips, my confidence and clarity are restored. I know I will make it to my next new beginning with ease.
How will you transition with ease into your encore years?
Janice Williams, Retirement Coach, www.welcomingretirement.com